East Sutton, along with Sutton Valence and Chart Sutton is one of the Three Suttons, a triplet of parishes occupying an east-west strip of countryside that tumbles down a steep hillside into The Weald.
It is a largely farming community. The 14th Century church of St Peter and St Paul has a Jacobean pulpit and a late 13th Century font.
There is a magnificent brass of 1629 to Sir Edward Filmer, his wife and their 18 children. The village hall is named after the Filmer family who played an important part in the history of the parish. Their home was Sutton Park, a rambling red brick mansion built mainly in the 16th and 17th Century
Laterly the house has been used as a borstal in 1946 and more recently as a prison for both adult and young offender women in open conditions.
Temporary Road Closure – B2163 Upper Street, Leeds – from 28 April 2016 for up to 7 working days
There will be no access for through traffic between the junctions with Forge Lane and Burgess Hall Drive. The alternative route is via B2163 Lower Road/Penfold Hill, A20 Ashford Road, Willington Street, A274 Sutton Road and B2163 Leeds Road.